Supervisors of Student Employees


Once you have hired a student to work in your department, a Student Employment Agreement must be completed and submitted via Dynamic Forms in OnePort. Please ensure that your student employees understand their responsibilities before signing the contract. You are encouraged to keep a copy of the contract in your department since it is a legally binding agreement between you and the student.

The contract is used to set up the student’s job in the Banner Payroll system. A separate contract must be completed for each job, whether the student is to be paid an hourly rate or stipend.

In addition to the contract, the following forms must be completed by students who are being hired for their first UNCA job: Form I-9, W-4, NC-4EZ, and Direct Deposit Enrollment. Their contract(s) will not be processed until they have completed all of these forms. Furthermore, their contract(s) and forms must be completed prior to, or on, their first day of work. Refer to the Student Employees page for more information.

Please familiarize yourself with the Student Employment Policy. You are welcome to email any questions you have about student employment to

Student Employment Agreement

Student Employment Agreement (available in Dynamic Forms) must be completed for each job a student holds on campus for every academic year.

Student Employment Change Form

The supervisor is responsible for submitting a Student Employment Change Form (available on the Forms page) if any of the following events occur:

  1. A student’s job is terminated prior to the end date on the agreement.
  2. A funding source change for their job.
  3. The student’s timesheet needs to be routed to a new supervisor.

Student Employment Dates

Student employment agreements cannot exceed one full year. The start and end dates on a student employment agreement drive the payments for the Banner Payroll system and are used to open the online timesheet in OnePort so that hourly rate student employees can report the hours worked.

Start and end dates on agreements can vary depending on the needs of the department, however, there are some guidelines that must be followed:

  • For non-Federal Work Study positions, the end date on these contracts cannot go past a student’s graduation date.
  • For Federal Work Study positions, contract start dates typically do not begin prior to the first day of classes and typically end by the last day of exams.

Payment Types

Hourly Rate Student Employees

Student Employees are paid an hourly rate based on how many hours they work per day. The start and end dates on the contract play a crucial part in the Banner Payroll system and when the online timesheet is available in OnePort for student employees to record their hours worked.

Stipend Student Employees

Student employees who are paid a flat rate for a job or project are paid on the same bi-weekly schedule as an hourly rate job. Stipends can be paid in one pay period or multiple/consecutive pay periods. The contract must indicate the pay periods in which the employee is to be paid.

Payroll Request

When students are paid a stipend on an intermittent schedule, the supervisor must fill out a Payroll Request Form in addition to the Student Employment Contract. The Payroll Request Form must be submitted to the Student Payroll Service Center, 115 Phillips Hall, a few days prior to the end of the pay period. The form must indicate the payment amount and when the student is to be paid. The Payroll Request Form can be found on the Forms page.

Web Time Entry

Approving timesheets and setting up proxies

Supervisors of hourly employees are responsible for approving their employees’ timesheets by the approvers’ deadline, which is outlined on the Bi-Weekly Calendar. Supervisors are required to set up one or more timesheet proxies who can approve timesheets in their absence. See the PowerPoint below for detailed instructions on how to navigate and how to approve timesheets, as well as how to set up Proxies.