General Information

W-2 Tax Information

W-2s will be mailed no later than January 31st. As part of UNC Asheville’s migration to electronic consent for W-2 Wage and Tax Statements, we have turned on the electronic W-2 feature via OnePort. If you have not received your W-2 Wage and Tax Statement or you need a reprint, and you are an active University employee, you can now access this information online.

How You Can Access Your W-2

  • Click on OnePort on the UNC Asheville homepage.
  • Enter your username and password.
  • Click on Employment Main Menu (hyperlink on the left).
  • Click on Tax Forms.
  • Click on W-2 Wage and Tax Statement.
  • Choose the Tax Year you want, and click on Display.
  • In the lower left hand corner, click on Printable W-2.
  • Go to File and Print.

Explanation of Information Found on W-2

For explanations of the information found in each box of the W-2, please refer to the following link:

Gross Wages vs. Taxable Wages

Gross wages are sum of all earnings before any taxes or other deductions come out of your pay. Taxable wages are the sum of all earnings that are eligible for a particular type of tax. The amounts that are on your W-2 form reflect taxable wages.

If the amounts in boxes 1, 3, 5 and 16 of the W-2 do not match your total gross earnings for the year, that is because you may have pre-tax or tax deferred payroll deductions. Pre-tax deductions (medical insurance, NC Flex and parking) are not subject to Federal and State Withholding Taxes. Tax deferred deductions (state-mandated retirement or pre-tax 401k, 403b, and 457 Plans) are not subject to Federal and State Withholding taxes as well as FICA/Medicare Taxes.

Box 1 shows the wages that are subject to Federal Withholding Taxes.

Box 3 shows the wages that are subject to Social Security Taxes.

Box 5 shows the wages that are subject to Medicare Taxes.

Box 16 shows the wages that are subject the State Witholding Taxes.

Requesting a Duplicate W-2

Current employees no longer need to request a duplicate of their W-2 form as these are available online. Access to all UNCA W-2s will be available through OnePort as long as the individual is actively employed by UNC Asheville.

Employees who have separated from UNC Asheville will have to request duplicate W-2 forms from the Payroll Office. Requests should be sent to Include your full name, Employee (UNCA) ID and the last four digits of your Social Security number, your date of birth, the year(s) of the W-2 needed, and your current mailing address.

For security reasons, we cannot fax or email W-2s. They can either be picked up in the University Payroll Office with proper identification or they can be mailed via the U.S. Postal Service.